If this is your first time visiting, you might want to subscribe so you'll be notified when there's something new to read! See the sidebar below to subscribe. 

Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Literacy Launchpad Nursery

I always knew that when I had a baby, I wanted to have some kind of a reading theme in the nursery. I also knew that I didn't want to spend much money. So here's a little glimpse of what the hubby and I created for our little guy.


I really like this mobile. It was part of a whole bedding set, but I only needed the mobile, and it sure does look nice with the rest of the room (IMO). It's an elephant with the word "BABY" dangling from the legs (one letter from each leg). Our crib and changing table were purchased from a friend for a steal!


The letter blocks came from a garage sale, and are attached to a super-cheap curtain rod from Lowe's.


Isaac's Gramma made him this quilt. She let me choose the fabrics and theme, so of course, I love the way it turned out. She used a really cute story book fabric to back the quilt. Wish I had taken a photo of that also. Gramma also made the bumper, bed skirt, and window valance.


These are framed prints from a Children's Literature calendar I had. I think it was titled Celebrating Children's Books, or something like that. I don't think they make these calendars anymore. I wonder why. I loved them! I actually had these calendars from a few years, so I had quite a few prints to choose from. I figure I can rotate the pictures if I want, but I'm pretty happy with the ones I chose. The frames came from Michael's. they were on sale for $5 a piece.

3 comments:

Kathleen W. said...

Your nursery is absolutely gorgeous, and Isaac is so lucky! I adore the quilt made by his grandma, and the mobile is so cute.

I did an alphabet theme in my son's room, mostly due to the cute alphabet cards I got online. You can see some photos on my blog here

http://katydidandkid.blogspot.com/search/label/Nursery%20Tour

Homeschool Friend said...

ADORABLE IDEA! I LOVE IT! Can I PLEASE post this picture to my blog with a link to refer readers here to read your post?

I dream of owning a library and book store one day. THIS is how I want to decorate the walls! I'll have to give full credit to you when that day comes!!!

I also have other ideas of ways to decorate. I want to frame each letter from Alphabet City and hang them in order down a hallway leading to the preschool book room!

I also want to have framed covers of library books, like library Mouse, Our Library, The Boy Who was Raised by Librarians and so forth.

SO many ideas!!!

Thank you for coming to my blog and leaving such a sweet message! I love YOUR blog too! I'll add you to mine too! I look forward to following you!

Sincerely,
Marietta

Katie said...

I absolutely love this idea... so sweet... and all the handmade stuff makes it all the more homey!