If this is your first time visiting, you might want to subscribe so you'll be notified when there's something new to read! See the sidebar below to subscribe. 

Friday, September 21, 2012

Using YOUR Writing to Inspire Your Kids

As I recently dug through an old box of school stuff that my mom had saved over the years, I found many fun treasures, including a handful of picture books that I created throughout elementary school. Some of these books were created for school assignments (Young Authors mostly). But others were created simply because I enjoyed writing, drawing, and creating. 



Reading back through them has been hysterical. But what's been really fun is sharing them with my kids. My boys and I spent a few days reading through them during bedtime story time, and they couldn't get enough of them. I guess they don't have very discerning taste in literature yet. But really I think what they enjoyed was that they knew the author of these books! Reading them gave them a deeper peek into who their mom was/is. And of course, they just enjoyed laughing at me too!



Using books like these is a great way to start some meaningful discussions about authors and illustrators and what their motivations are for writing their stories, what kind of person they might be, and how a passion for creating can start early. It also sets a good example to kids that anybody can be a writer. Even if you aren't published, you can still share your writing with others. Even if you aren't a perfect writer, or artist, you can still create books that others can appreciate and enjoy. 



 Share some of your stories with your children and/or students. Even if you don't have any creations from your childhood, create a story or book today! Create a story about your children! Then, once you've provided that inspiration, provide them with the supplies and opportunity to create a story themselves!






No comments: