If this is your first time visiting, you might want to subscribe so you'll be notified when there's something new to read! See the sidebar below to subscribe. 

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Spreading The Love of Reading

This week I began doing some volunteer work: childcare for children whose mothers are taking an ESL class. My hope in volunteering for this gig is that I can do at least a little bit of my Literacy Launchpad magic with these children.

I'm presenting the books to the children in a casual manner, not forcing anything on them. Last night I simply laid a bunch of books out on the floor, and asked them if they wanted me to read one. After I read one, they kept asking for more!

The language difference is a bit intimidating. I'm not really sure how much of what I read and say they actually understand. And I speak NO Spanish... But they seem to be enjoying the books!

Most of our time together last night was spent playing outside, so we didn't have time for any crafts or activities to accompany the books. I'm sure we'll have time for all that eventually.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

1 comment:

Jen Robinson said...

Definitely keep us posted on how it goes, Amy. I think that offering to read to these kids is a great idea. Even if there's a bit of a language barrier, I think that you're modeling your joy in books for these kids, and that's a wonderful thing. I look forward to hearing more about it.